Thursday, July 15, 2010

Casein Painting

This is my first casein painting. I just love the softness and texture. I painted this at a Belleville Art Association Workshop, where the last Tuesday of each month one of the members share their expertise on a subject. Last month Bob Pennycook guided us through a painting.

What is casein?
It is a fast drying water soluable milk protein that has been used as long ago by Egyption painters as a kind of tempura paint. It has a glue like consistency and can be thinned by the artist, but because it is brittleness when dry it needs to be painted on a sturdy board or masonite but not on canvas. An interesting alternative to acrylics.

As far as I know casein paints may only be purchased at Curry's although there are receipes on the internet to make your on casein paints. Being the hap hazard cook that I am I will be purchasing the paints.

No comments:

Post a Comment